Recreational Vehicle on the BeachDepending on state laws, you might be able to cover your RV under your existing auto insurance policy — so long as you let your insurer know that you are driving an RV, and so long as your RV is technically not an RV. This can be a little confusing, as "RV" has become a broad term — referring not just to recreational vehicles, but also towable campers and similar vehicles.

At the least, you will certainly need to invest in recreational vehicle insurance in several scenarios:

  •  If you drive a motor home, you will certainly need to get a recreational vehicle insurance policy to cover it. In some states, a camper, a fifth-wheel or any other non-motorized camper (depending, in some states, on size) will be covered by the insurance of the car that tows it. However, once you have an actual recreational vehicle, you will need recreational vehicle insurance to protect it, and to protect yourself from liability concerns.
  • If you are renting an RV for your journey, you are certainly going to need a separate RV insurance policy to cover it. When driving a rental car, it's a different story. You may be able to get covered through your existing insurance. Not so when it comes to RVs. This insurance may be sold to you through to the company renting it out to you.
  • If you live in a state that does not necessarily require insurance, you may be required to carry it for your RV until that vehicle is fully paid off.

The wiggle-room mainly applies to towable, non-drivable campers and trailers. A motor-home almost always requires recreational vehicle insurance, by law, because RV insurance comes with certain provisions that car insurance lacks. Meanwhile, a trailer is usually going to be covered by your car insurance — even if, at a glance, anyone seeing you pass on the highway could be reasonably expected to call your trailer a "recreational vehicle."

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019

View Mobile Version
CSE Insurance Group
Bristol West Insurance Group